WSL academy sides heading for third tier in England despite backlash

3 hours ago 2

A proposal to allow four academy sides from Women’s Super League clubs to join the third tier from 2027 has been approved by the FA Women’s National League board.

The league’s management met FAWNL representatives on Friday and were told of the board’s backing. The plans will now be put to the Football Association for further discussion before the changes can be rubber stamped. A final decision is expected in July.

However, plans to introduce a mid-season split, as in Scotland, is understood to have been dropped. The FA has been contacted for comment.

The Guardian revealed last month that the FA had proposed major structural changes to the FAWNL, including adding four WSL academy sides. That was alongside a potential investment package of about £1m, enhancements to legal and medical support in the loan system, and play-offs in tier four.

Adding WSL academy sides to a lower division has divided opinion in the women’s game and clubs’ reactions to the proposals have been mixed. Manchester City are among several WSL clubs understood to support the move. The champions’ managing director, Charlotte O’Neill, said earlier this month they would like to enter an academy team into the third tier, in City’s case National League North. “We’d definitely be open to it. We’ve seen in Spain, for example, how powerful that’s been for Barcelona,” she said.

“The mechanism is difficult. How do you make that fair for all professional clubs? The impact that has on the National League. We’re very mindful of that and respectful of various positions, but if you’re asking me would I love to be able to put a B team into the national pyramid, absolutely. It would be hugely beneficial for the Lionesses, not just us.”

A number of lower-league clubs have voiced their concerns about the proposed move, however. Some coaches vented their frustration on social media, accusing the FA of “rehashing and repackaging” a scrapped plan to introduce WSL B teams. Ian Chiverton, the chair of Portsmouth’s supporters club, accused the authorities of “pandering to the WSL teams”, while Danny Taylor, assistant manager of the North West regional league side Mancunian Unity, called the idea an “absolute disgrace”.

Under the scheme, four professional game academies, or PGAs, chosen on the “strength of academy and proportion of English talent” would join with a three-year licence. They would be prohibited from promotion the second tier, but could be relegated. The other WSL clubs’ PGAs would remain in their existing league.

Sue Day, the FA’s director of women’s football, defended the governing body’s plans last month, saying she believes the game is at a “crucial turning point”. Day added: “Too many talented young players are not getting the opportunities they need to develop, and without action, that risks holding back the future of the sport.

“A stronger pathway produces better players and strengthens the national team, which in turn fuels the growth and visibility of the game at every level.”

Read Entire Article
IDX | INEWS | SINDO | Okezone |